Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ft. Worth Florida

I am feeling quite patriotic as I am sitting at the airport looking at hundreds of Air Force men and women carry their three to five bags to either the Delta or US Airways ticket counters. Being delayed from my flight that was to have left an hour ago I am almost pleased that I had to wait so I could witness this momentous occasion. (And of course this is a day that I did not wear red, white and blue.) Men and women of all shapes and sizes flooded the Ft. Walton airport having their individuality tested by wearing their Air Force issue uniform. Their personality shining through only in their demeanor. Some laughed and carried on, most likely not wanting to think of what the near future holds for them. Others solemnly kept their place in line with looks of nervousness and anxiety.
When moving through the line it was rather difficult for them to keep their bags separate from their fellow comrades. However they did not get upset when others moved their items. Rather they all lent a helping hand and worked together; being a true team that they need to be. No one seemed to be upset when they had to pull the load of someone else because that other person may be dealing with their Sergeant or other travel arrangements. It was a true team effort.
It reminded me of how beautiful life can be when you work as a team. With something as small as moving luggage and lending a hand to someone in need. Not only did they go an extra step but the extra mile. One man bought two waters and took one over to another soldier. Now who knows maybe he owed it but I could not help but think that it was pure generosity. Then another soldier bought a doughnut for himself and bought several others. He went through the crowds of soldiers asking if anyone wanted one. It really was the extra mile.
It brought a smile to face, challenged me to be more of a team player, to give without asking for anything in return and reminded me of how blessed I am not live in America. Where the flag is still flying and I am a free citizen. God bless America!

2 comments:

  1. Brittany, great post! Inspiring. Can't wait to see what other morsels you will leave for us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I'm talking about... you were meant for this blogging thing! :)

    ReplyDelete